Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Paris Review's Interview with Dorothy Parker

The Interview

Wow. After reading this I got a whole new perspective on Dorothy Parker. She comes across as very humble, but sad. She never thought much of herself as a writer or wit. I liked reading about her life as she told it. I felt more connected to her than before. It made me smile when she said that she liked to read the Sherlock Holmes stories. I love them too.

I think its funny that she names her characters based on what she finds in the obits and phone books. I myself use Babynames.com.

This interview gives us insight into her writing process. She says that her stories take six months to write! I was amazed. Her stories are very short and I thought she would be writing one a week! She says that she struggles to find the right words and end up changing them. She must have had a very well thumbed thesaurus. I am glad I'm writing in the internet age!

Next week I will be writing a longer review of her short story "Lady With a Lamp." It deals with a subject that we don't like to talk about even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment