Sunday, November 27, 2011

Final Thoughts on Dorothy Parker

I can't believe this is my Last Dorothy Parker post! Its been a good literary adventure. I am happy I picked her as my author study.

Ms. Parker ended up being more fascinating than I originally thought. She had the wit I had expected, but she was a tragic figure too. Her stories rarely had happy endings, but that's life. Her life was sadder than I thought it was and her stories reflect that. I believe that she was a lonely woman and writing was an outlet for her. Her marriages were troubled and she never had any children. Her writing was the companion that we all need in our lives.

Her works are very feminist, but in an usual way. Her female protagonists tend to be weak and surround themselves with bad men. Only a few are strong on their own. Parker is empowering in her unique way because she chose to write about dark subjects that were swept under rug during her time. She points out the issues and they become warnings to her readers.

 I wish I could have met her. I think we would have had a good conversation. (I'd tell her that Guys do make Passes at girls who wear glasses :) I'm sad our blogging relationship is over, But I promise Dorothy I'll be reading you again soon! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment