Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Poetry

I finally got my hands on a few Dorothy Parker poems. Honestly I am not that impressed. After reading her short stories, her poems seem very generic. They are an OK read. I think this class has spoiled me with poetry. I'll review three of them today.

A Dream Lies Dead
The title gives away what the story is about. The narrator is saying that a dream of her died and she's warning people to stay away from its grave. The words were fun though. Fecundity. I never heard that word before. It means the ability to reproduce. The narrator cannot reproduce her dream.

Alexandre Dumas and his son
 This one made me laugh. Its a short poem that says that Parker is a busy woman and she cannot care for the works of Alexandre Dumas or his son, even though she tries to read them. This sounds more like something Dorothy Parker would say.

A Fairly Sad Tail
Poor Dorothy. She is talking about being left by men, who put her off with stories of their parents and their jobs. The best line is about her heart being a mosaic. That was good imagery.

I'll find some more for next week!

oh and it turn out that Dorothy Parker was the one that said "Men rarely make passes at girls who wear glasses."
I hate that phrase. Don't be hating on my glasses Lady/

4 comments:

  1. Rachel- It sounds like Dorothy Parker has a wide range in her writing from writing sad, depressing poems to humorous poems. From what you've described, I would say that I'm most interested in reading "A Fairly Sad Tail" just because it sounds like an interesting, sad love story. Which one was your favorite??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean with our class spoiled us! We have read so many great poems that its hard to measure up in contrast. I agree with Laura though she does have a large range of topics. And haha i'm on your side with the glasses statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel- I don't like that phrase either because I also wear glasses :). I feel that with authors they are either really good with poetry or short stories and novels. She seems to be the kind of writer who is great at short stories, and just so so in the poetry area. It has been awesome to learn Dorothy Parker this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you feel spoiled. :)

    ReplyDelete