Thursday, November 10, 2011

Horsie Time

Hello everyone!

            Today I will be looking at one of Dorothy Parker’s strangest stories, “Horsie.” It is about (to be perfectly frank) a woman who looks like a horse. Now while you are laughing at this image, let me explain.

            “Horsie” is actually a completely human woman named Miss Wilmarth. She has the “pleasure” of being the nanny to an infant rich girl.  The little girl’s parents spend the story making fun of their Nanny’s appearance.  They make jokes about her long face and horse like qualities the whole time she works for them. They never make them to her face however. Miss Wilmarth is shown to be a loving and kind person, who has no idea that she is getting made fun of. She is sort of a sad character in the way that no one appreciates her, and she spends her life being a proverbial doormat. The story ends when the Mother is well enough to care for her baby  and Miss Wilmarth leaves. She gets a flower in thanks from the father and she is happy about feeling worthy enough to get one.

This story is a weird one. It does not have a real point to it. But after reading all the depressing stuff that Parker wrote, it’s a nice break. If you’re bored and want to read something entertaining check it out.

4 comments:

  1. Rachel, that is a pretty cool story. That is a pretty cool name- "Horsie". It sounds like a little kid talking. I am going to have to read this when I have some free time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun story! I bet it definitely good to get away from some of the depressing topics. I'll take a look at the story when I get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an odd short story. I don't even know how to react to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^ agreed. I don't see the point like you said in that story. But I'm sure it has some interesting points if Parker wrote it!

    ReplyDelete